Re: [OM] OM1 battery fix (2)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1 battery fix (2)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:20:51 +0000
At 17:06 4/14/99 , Gary Reese wrote:
>I just tested 4 OM-1 's on an exposure meter tester and I got non-liner
>errors in all four using a MR-9 adapter in each.  The situation is personally
>disgusting since the errors are major.  I refuse to sell a camera that I know
[snip]
>I'm planning on retesting the meters with a mercury cell just to see what
>error is attributable to the MR-9 adapter.

I do not know how sensitive the OM-1[n] is to voltage variation as I
neither have one, nor have I tested one to see what happens.  I do know the
MR-9 adapter in my Rollei 35S, which took the mercury PX625 also, made its
meter accurate enough for Kodachrome 64 and Elitechrome 100.  I measured
the voltage difference with an analog voltmeter and my MR-9 does drop the
voltage by just over a tenth of a volt.  However, my meter is *not* a high
end digital calibrated to a secondary or tertiary standard so it is hard to
tell much more than the voltmeter needle moved about as expected.

The difference in battery voltage between the PX625A/B alkaline (~1.5V) and
the MS76 in an MR-9 does affect the Rollei 35's meter accuracy.  You can
get away with the alkalines for negative, but not for reversal.  [Note:
Unlike the OM-1, the higher voltage won't potentially damage the Rollei35.]

I am curious as to what your findings are regarding the OM-1's after you
sort out camera, adapter, battery and voltage effects.

-- John