Re: [OM] OM1 battery fix (2)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1 battery fix (2)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:49:54 +0000
>Thanks for a very complete and informative message. One question:
>
>On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 02:17:55AM -0400, HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> * What solution am I going to use? :Since very low voltage amplifiers are
>> not readily available I plan to use a discrete 3 transistor series
>> regulator which will use 10uA current giving me an estimated battery life
>> of about 18000hrs (2.5yrs) if left on by accident. I still need to see if
>> there is space for this in my OM1. This should perform as well as a
>> mercury battery. Although not complicated, this is probably beyond the
>> average home repairer's electronic skill level to construct.
>
>I'd like to try this. What do you plan to use, specifically? Perhaps a PCB
>can be designed with surface mount components and made inexpensively; while,
>as you say, this might be beyond the average home repairman, it might be
>simple enough to be duplicated by folks with experience in the area.

There are three off-the-shelf solutions I know about.  The following URL's
go straight to their sites:

1.  Zinc Air 625 form factor batteries (approx 1.4 V; these are hard to
find as they are not a common hearing aid battery; scroll to bottom of page
for Zinc Air batteries):
http://www.wholesaleadvantage.com/batteries_photo.html

2.  PX625 adapter for MS76 1.5V Silver batteries (drops voltage to approx.
1.35 V; scroll to bottom of page):
http://www.criscam.com/

3.  PX625 adapter for Zinc Air 675 form factor batteries (unlike the 625
Zinc Air, the 675 is readily found in packs of 5 and/or 6 on hearing aid
battery racks almost everywhere; scroll to bottom of page):
http://www.olympusguy.com/NewLArt8.htm

If you like building things and your objective is to design and construct
your own solution (which I do at times) an off-the-shelf one may not be
what you are looking for.  The cost of parts and time taken to design and
test your own would have to be weighed against the cost of any of these
three and what path you want to take.  I have used #2 and #3 and both work.
 Cannot speak to the order turn-around or service level of #1 as I have not
ordered from them.

-- John