[OM] ES-10 (Was Re: [OM] Digital camera)

Subject: [OM] ES-10 (Was Re: [OM] Digital camera)
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:09:59 +0200
M. Stephens wrote:

> I'm considering a film/slide scanner, as I don't want to make
> the investment in a digital camera at this point (I'd rather buy some
> more Zuikos!).  Has anyone had experience with them -
> how does the Oly ES-10 rate?

On the ES-10, I have previously posted a small review on the unit on
the list. It should be in the archive somewhere.
Basically I'm reasonably satisfied with it. It got it for 200UKP at
Jessops. At that price it is ok.

Since my first posting on it I have had the pleasure of borrowing
a Nikon Coolscan III. I must admit that I much prefer the Nikon,
but it is four times as much as I paid for the ES-10. On a good
day the difference in the final quality is not so much. Only my
ES-10 tends to have too many bad days. It had a very annoying
tendency to give colored rims in high resolution scans. That happens
in maybe one out of 10 scans. Combined with the slow speed on the
parallel port it adds to a somewhat larger problem. I suspect that
I may have a faulty unit, as the focusing mechanism is also very
sloppy.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"