RE: [OM] Digital camera

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital camera
From: "Chip Stratton" <cstrat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:08:16 -0500
I am not quite as negative on the immediate future of digital photography as
many film photographers are. While film will continue to be king for many
more years where the highest possible quality is needed, I believe digital
cameras will supplant film for 80% to 900f uses over the next 5 years or
so. And I'm not so sure that isn't too conservative.

The battery issue is a non-issue. Using NiMh cells in my D340L, I can get
well over 150 flash photos. Then its just a quick 2hr recharge if I have to,
but I don't, since I have another 4 cells ready to go. Alkaline cells in
most of these cameras are a huge mistake, they can't supply the current for
very long.

The quality of the images taken won't be the limiting factor for most
personal uses. Right now, the printer is the resolution limiting step in
getting nice output. Even a so called 1440 dpi ink jet printer can't give
the same information density on a sheet of paper as can be easily obtained
with traditional photographic printing processes.

I love both my OM4 and my D340L, but I am taking many more pictures now with
the digital camera than I would ever have taken with the film camera, and
that has improved my understanding and technique with both mediums. I plan
to wait another year or two before getting yet another digital camera. By
then, models should be available (for reasonable prices) that rival or
exceed the flexibility of my OM4. That is one area where digital photography
remains somewhat frustrating to me: a relative absence of manual control.
How about a digital body for our OM system lenses! When the chip making
technology can give us a 24x36mm sensor, we might have a chance. I think the
largest now is about 16mm on an edge.

Chip Stratton