Re: [OM] IS-3

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-3
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:39:41 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: John A. Lind <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: den 12 april 1999 02:58

> 2.  The built in flash units [on the DLX140 and the IS-3] are weak
compared to a T-20 and especially a
> T-32 or F-280.  You will not be able to reach across a large living
room as
> easily, especially the 140 if it is zoomed out to 140mm @ f/11.  I
don't
> have the GN's so you might want to ask about them to get a feel for
the
> range you will have based on the film speeds you plan to use.
>
> -- John

This is true if we're talking about the built-in flash units of most P
& S cameras yes, but it is certainly not true if we're talking about
the built-in G28 flash unit of the IS-3. AFAIK this is THE most
powerful built-in flash of any SLR camera (if someone has a better
contender please let us know). Guide number is 20 in manual and 28 in
auto. Not only is it powerful, but it is also one very intelligent and
versatile flash unit with functions like Auto, Auto-S, Manual and
Fill-In (the international IS-3000 model also features Super FP flash
with full synchro in portrait and manual mode).

As if this wasn't enough there is also the possibility to work with
the built-in G28 and the optional G40 simultaneously. Is there any
other camera whatsoever with this kind of flash power with flash units
mounted in or on the camera body itself? I doubt it. As for the rest I
too complete agree with Ken's opinion on the IS-3.

Per Nordenberg
Kolmården, Sweden