Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Suggestion

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Suggestion
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:59:28 -0600
At 01:59 AM 3/24/99 -0600, you wrote:
>My name is Chip and I've just subcribed to the Olympus List.  I've owned
>Oympus cameras and bodies for 10 years and do not plan to own anything else.
>
>I have a newly acquired OM4 (new to me) and only have a T-20 flash.  I'd
>like to have a flash that cycles faster and one that I could easily get "off
>the camera" to avoid red-eye when photographing my new baby girl.  The T20
>adapter and TTL cable (to accomplish "off the camera) look as expensive as a
>used T-32.   The T-45 looks impressive but is bulky and I don't know if
>battery/charger supplies are still supported by Olympus.  The F-280 is new
>and would support higher sync speeds if I ever get an OM-4T but it's
>obviously not a beefy or strong as the T-45.
>
>Does anyone have some top-level working advise on what my best option would
>be for one general purpose better Olympus flash (quicker cycling, off-camera
>cable, maybe growth towards OM-4T possible) ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chip

Hi Chip,

Welcome to the list. I'd consider a third-party flash too.  Several Vivitar
in the 4600-5600 range will give you the power of a T32 plus full
dedication. I'm not going to assure you that the dedicated modules are
necessarily going to be easy to find.  The T32 is only slightly lighter, if
it is lighter at all, than my Viv 4600, and it is lower profile, which
looks nice, but apparently causes more of a tendency to red-eye as a
result.  I never get red-eye with the 4600.

Another very good option is the Sunpak 433 or 444.  I have a 433 dedicated
for Olympus. It is in many ways even better than the Vivitar -- lighter,
with probably better color balance (trifle warmer).  Its strong points are
that in manual it allows you to do fairly easy fill flash by cutting output
to 1/2, 1/4, etc.  *Very* handy feature.  Weak points are that its contacts
are small and gimpy.  It works very well with cameras that have removable
shoes, but with the OM-2S (and I presume the OM-4's) it can be a less than
positive connection at times.  I had to create a little epoxy shim to make
it absolutely tight on my OM-2S.  That done, it works well.  I haven't yet
located a cord for it for off camera flash other than a duo-sync, which has
too much play to be useful with the Sunpak (among my equipment in any case).

Also consider adding a Stofen omnibounce, whatever flash you select:

        http://www.stofen.com

Best wishes,

Joel