Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Suggestion

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Suggestion
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:27:05 -0500
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:59:28 -0600, Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> At 01:59 AM 3/24/99 -0600, you wrote:

> >I have a newly acquired OM4 (new to me) and only have a T-20 flash.  I'd
> >like to have a flash that cycles faster and one that I could easily get "off
> >the camera" to avoid red-eye when photographing my new baby girl.

> Another very good option is the Sunpak 433 or 444.  I have a 433 dedicated
> for Olympus. It is in many ways even better than the Vivitar -- lighter,
> with probably better color balance (trifle warmer).

It depends on what you're after. I haven't been able to live with a
single flash unit, no "one-size-fits-all". For serious flash use, I have
a Sunpak 555 with OM module, which of course couples to the TLL sensor in
my OM-4 and OM-PC, and the "flash ready" sensor in all the other bodies.
This is a big sucker, but you get off-the-camera (it's a "potato masher",
not a shoe flash) with swivel head, fast recycling, optional belt-mount
battery packs, etc. I also have a Vivitar 2600 for casual use ("maybe
I'll need a flash") and a spare, tiny Sunpak my Dad brought me from Japan
in '78, "just in case".

> Its strong points are
> that in manual it allows you to do fairly easy fill flash by cutting output
> to 1/2, 1/4, etc.  *Very* handy feature.

Yup -- that's a standard Sunpak feature. The 555 can go down to 1/64th,
and it recycles there fast enough to keep up with my Winder 1.

The main problem with a flash like the 555 is size -- this is a big
sucker, and probably won't fit your camera bag (when I take it along,
it's in the second or possibly third bag).
--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One