Re: [OM] F280 -- auto-exposure?; OM system

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 -- auto-exposure?; OM system
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 01:49:44 EST
In a message dated 99-01-31 21:20:12 EST, you, Mr. Sommerwerck, write:

<< How many times do I have to repeat that the OM's decline is Olympus's
 fault? THEY are the ones who "created" the decline in demand by not
 advertising, not promoting, and not "improving" the system. Why are WE
 -- the loyal OM owners who supported the system -- supposed to sit back
 and blame _ourselves_ if we can't get parts or service? >>

Was it so unusual at the time the camera were introduced they were state of
the art in all aspects of camera making (except for maybe long teles), but
because of the investment in time and money they miscalculated the market.
They spent too much time and money in research on bodies, macro and wide
angles.  Let's look at the critical point in OM development-Olympus' failure
to jump on the AF bandwagon.  They came out with the amatuerish OM-77, which
was OK at the time of introduction.  Many pros profess not to use their AF all
that much (many of them probably are lying about this also).  So AF was
probably thought of as an amateur gimmick, and underestimated the public's
desire for gadgets.

Give a tyro a choice between the most sophisticated metering system around and
autofocus and he'll pick AF every time.