Re: [OM] F280 -- auto-exposure?; OM system

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 -- auto-exposure?; OM system
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 09:12:24 +0200
William asked:

>"The F280 is already an auto-exposure flash, which works well in my
>experience (the used time must be shorter than 1/60!)."
>
>Uh-uh. Nope. The F280 is only automatic in X synch. In SuperFP, its
>output is fixed. (If I'm wrong about this, I'd like to know just HOW it
>works, because it is fundamentally "impossible." Would someone correct
>me if I'm wrong?)

The flash duration of the F280 in super FP function is not constant, but
from 1/50 - 1/25 seconds with OM-4 and 1/70 - 1/30 with OM-707. So there
seems to be a possibility to adjust the output, at least the duration of
the output. The main adjustment of exposure seems to be done via the
automatic-choosen exposure time, the flash light is then metered like the
available light respectively the mixture of both lights is metered. Of
course, this metering must start at the pattern of the curtain like in the
normal auto mode without flash.

Matthias