Re: [OM] F280 -- auto-exposure?; OM system

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 -- auto-exposure?; OM system
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:20:56 EST
In a message dated 1/31/99 9:20:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
williams@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Uh-uh. Nope. The F280 is only automatic in X synch. In SuperFP, its
 output is fixed. (If I'm wrong about this, I'd like to know just HOW it
 works, because it is fundamentally "impossible." Would someone correct
 me if I'm wrong?) >>

In Super FP mode, the flash just functions like a high-tech photoflood,
really. The camera works in auto mode, reading the exposure off the curtain
(primarily) and off the film (somewhat less so). Turn the light on, open the
shutter, when enough light is received, close the shutter.

The OM-3Ti can't do this, since there is no camera control of the shutter. So
in this case you are stuck to doing manual guide number calculations (and the
guide number varies according to shutter speed!)

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI