Re: [OM] identify this cord, please

Subject: Re: [OM] identify this cord, please
From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:34:31 -0600
> >In my scrounging, I have found on the "useless accessories" bookshelf a
> >cord...
> >
> >One connector fits nicely into the round hole at the bottom of a Winder 1
>
> That would be your standard (well, one of the "standards") DC power supply
> plug, but then it gets wierd:
>
> >The other connector has what appears to be a cable release.  It screws
> >neatly into the shutter release of an OM1-MD and has a sliding pin
> >suitable for releasing the shutter.
>
> Does it have a hard, cylindrical bulge near this end? The only thing I
> could think of would be a solenoid shutter release. It would have a coil of
> wire (electromagnet) that when energized by putting power on the plug,
> forces the pin out to trip the shutter.

Yes.  The "mechanical" end of the cord is 'L' shaped.  Coming down the
cord, first there is a plastic section which allows the cord to flex a
bit, but not too much (three discs separated by blank space).  The cord
then enters a section which is cylindrical, with the cylinder at right
angles to the cord.  The cylinder is extended towards the cord so is
looks U shaped when viewed from the top of the cylinder.  The cylinder
connects to yet another cylinder, which is metallic.  This is the grip
used to screw the cable release threads into a socket.  Finally, there
is a plastic sheath surrounding the metallic pin which actually releases
the shutter.

My best guess is that this came with my Auto Bellows (which I haven't
used in a decade).  There is a cable release socket on THAT which (of
course) accepts the cable release end of this cable.  Still no clue on
what is supposed to provide the juice at the other ("electrical") end of
the cable.

So...best bet is an electrically controlled mechanical cable release.
If so, any information on what sort of device would provide the pulse?
I'm quite sure this is a stock OM device (probably part of the Auto
Bellows), so I presume there must be a stock OM triggering device.

--
Kenneth Sloan                                            sloan@xxxxxxx
Computer and Information Sciences                       (205) 934-2213