[OM] OT: Alps/Epson Print Comparison

Subject: [OM] OT: Alps/Epson Print Comparison
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:34:22 -0500
I have an Alps MD-1300 printer since last May.  Since some people on another
list I belong to seem to believe that the Epson produces better "photo" prints,
I would like to make a comparison using an identical file for printing.

I find that the best file for the purpose is a test print file provided by Adobe
in their software Photoshop called testpict.tif in Photoshop 5.0 or on Mac, Olé
No Moiré.

The MD-1300 can print photographs mainly in three different ways, CMYK on laser
paper, CMY+Finish on photorealistic paper, and Photo CMY+ Overcoat on
photoquality paper.  The last is the dye-sub print from the Alps.

I was wondering if someone on the list who owns an Epson Photo printer (the
6-color version is supposed to be the best, the Stylus Photo 700 or the Stylus
Photo EX) would be willing to print the test print file from Photoshop and trade
the print with my Alps print (dye-sub plus the other two if you wish).

The testpict file is not normally installed onto your computer if you have
installed your Photoshop as a typical installation.  As a result, I did not find
it until recently when I became serious about print comparison.  You will find
the file on your Photoshop CD in the "Goodies" folder.  Look for it in the
"Calibrat" folder.  On my Photoshop 4.0 CD (Bundle Version), I found this test
file as a PSD file rather than a TIFF file.  As I understand it,  Photoshop 3.0
should have this same file as well.

Please contact me off list if you can do this trade.  If you are interested in
getting an 8.5"x11" sample print like this from the Alps, contact me off list
also.  I can let you know the cost involved.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/