Re: [OM] Internet Sales from Japan?

Subject: Re: [OM] Internet Sales from Japan?
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:42:39 -0600
I have been wondering about Yodobashi's business
strategies.  Here are my thoughts:

1. Internet usage is still limited in Japan because
   of 'monopolized' telephone line eventhough the
   goverment says it is deregulated.
2. I am sure Yodobashi realizes (it is same with
   Olympus Co. or any corporations in Japan for
   that matter) with recessed domestic economy
   for the last 7 years or so has to cultivate
   new products sales.  They are no longer camera
   outlet.  They became sort of Circuit City in
   the US where they carry house-hold appliances
   in addition to electronic gadgets.
3. If you visit large electronics outlet such
   as Ishimaru or Yodobashi, they have sections
   called 'Duty Free' where they do not impose
   any Japanese consumption taxes.  But when you
   purchase items from these sections they will
   issue corporate 'international warranty' forms.
   As long as you have valid international warranty
   form you are legally entitled for manufacturer's
   defect repairs - usually good for one year.

Regards,
Jim Terazawa