[OM] Internet Sales from Japan?

Subject: [OM] Internet Sales from Japan?
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:15:21 -0500
This morning I received another e-mail from Yodobashi Camera.  I thought that
you might be interested in their answers.

I asked if they have a system of the consumption tax refund like the VAT refund.
The answer was no, but the store is prepared to make some discount if you ask
for one and you are from outside of Japan.

The other question of mine was possible international Internet sales.  They said
that they have received numerous inquiries from overseas customers regarding the
possibility.  After all there are many Japanese living abroad who might want to
purchase cameras at Japanese prices.   At this point the answer was no.  They
are not prepared to ship products overseas.  They added that they would keep in
mind this type of requests for the future considerations.

I mentioned "Sanpou" yesterday where they are selling new OM-3Ti/4Ti at
reasonable prices.  When I visited their Web site again today, I noticed that
their Internet sales are limited to Japan.

Hopefully, in the future this situation will change.  In the long run, companies
like Olympus having a special niche product line will benefit from the
globalization of their market.  People will buy whatever the prices are
reasonable.  I wonder how the warranty repairs will be paid for under those
circumstances.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/