Re: [OM] OM4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:30:28 -0600
At 10:02 AM 2/4/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>> When a dedicated flash is used, the shutter speed is locked to 1/60. The
>>> flash may quench, but the shutter speed is still 1/60.
>>
>>No, that's not true. According to both the OM-4 instruction book
>>and Huber's book on the OM-2SP (see the FAQ), the shutter closes
>>at the same time as the flash is quenched. That's why the camera
>>ignores the set shutter speed.
>
>You're both right. When the shutter closes because of the flash quenching,
>the shutter speed happens to be 1/60th!
>
>I have a minor nit with saying "the shutter speed is locked," however. If
>the flash's entire dump isn't enough light, the shutter will remain open
>until enough additional light enters to satisfied its hunger. (Or until it
>dies of light-starvation in a couple minutes, or until you say "oops!" and
>switch it to manual...)

That's what the OM-2 does. The OM-2N, and subsequent models, release the
second curtain as soon as the flash fires, enough light or not. This can be
defeated by blocking the ready-confirm connection (with tape, etc), which
serves to select this behavior. OM-2 behavior can be used for fill flash if
the flash is not strong enough for a full exposure. You can also do this by
firing the flash on manual with the PC connector and the camera set to auto.

Paul Farrar