Re: [OM] OM4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:20:59 +0800
> Jan Steinman wrote about OM-2,4 flash synch:
>
> > When the shutter closes because of the flash quenching,
> > the shutter speed happens to be 1/60th!
>
> That's the impression I get from the Olympus material. But
> Michael Huber has in his book on the OM-2SP (ISBN in FAQ)
> the statement that it's actually 1/100. He also has graphs of
> vibration v. time with events like the mirror going up and
> down and the curtain firings marked. This leads me to suspect
> that he arrived at 1/100 by testing one or more OM-2SP's.

I don't think the OM-2SP can sync at 1/100s, try to set it to 1/125 manual
speed and fire the flash, without the lens cap or lens on the camera, cover
the shutter with a semi-transparent sheet (the one for storage of negative
works well), check how many area are unable to covered by flash. Compare it
with a OM-1 at the same shutter speed, if you find they are similar. That
means the shutter travelling speed of them are very close.

> Huber also mentions a shutter latency (button press to first
> curtain firing) of 1/15 second, which he says is fast compared
> to other brands of camera. Certainly, after using an OM-1 and
> OM-2 for years, my OM-2SP and OM-4 *feel* faster, and the
> mirror blackout time seems to be much shorter too. Shorter
> also than some expensive new cameras.

I don't feel the OM-2sp is faster than the OM-1 or 2. The mirror raising
speed of the 2sp is slow as compared to the OM1, 2 and 4. You can see the
highest motor transport speed of the 2sp is 3.5fps while 1,2 and 4 are
5fps.

C.H.Ling