Re: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring

Subject: Re: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:16:13 +0100
Andras Iklody-Szabo wrote:

> My experience is just the contrary. Superglue makes the rubber stiff and
> attacks the paint on the lens barrel. Besides, sometimes you want to remove
> the rubber sleeve to get to the screws underneath, when servicing the lens.
> Superglued rubber makes a mess of this. The worst thing you can do. Not
> everything somebody puts on the Web is recommendable.
>
> Andras Iklody-Szabo
> Caracas / Venezuela

You are right to some extent: Don't get the superglue between the
rubber and the focusing/zoom ring (they'd never come off again) and
the stuff does tends to become hard, which just means that you should
only have the stuff in the joint and nowhere else. Be sure the glue
has set completely before trying to put the rubber back in place.
Superglue is wonderful stuff, used sparingly; it's a Very Bad Thing
when it gets somewhere it was not supposed to. Anyway, the rubber
sleeves can be fixed as long as there is nothing else wrong than
it has become a little loose. I have done this to several lenses
now without problem.

The procedure I use is documented on my web page. Wether it is
recommendable is not for me to say, but the procedures in the
Olympus section are based on personal exprience.

Others have mentioned chemicals as deteriorating agents. Another is
sunlight. So the lenses don't mind to be hidden in the dark places
zuikoholics find themselves forced to use. Maybe I ought to get
some extra light seals for my Zuiko drawer.

Regards

Lars

Yet another member of ZA.
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"