Re: [OM] Rubber Ring Experiment

Subject: Re: [OM] Rubber Ring Experiment
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 17:11:02 -0800
At 10:41 PM 2/6/99 +0000, you wrote:

I have seen a local repairman use a piece of yellow "Post-It" Notes.  For
those outside the U.S., Post-It Notes, also called "yellow stickies," are
those little pieces of colored paper (traditionally yellow) that have a
sticky area on one side.   You can write on them and stick to a larger
piece of paper, and later remove it with no damage to the paper.  As with
Fax machines and cellular phones, no one knows how business survived before
then were invented.   ;-)

The repairman cut a strip of the sticky part, and folded it over the long
way so that the sticky part was exposed on both sides.  Then he inserted it
under the rubber ring.  This holds the ring in place on the lens (and adds
a tiny extra bit of diameter under a loose ring). But it can be removed
very easily.

>For you denizens of Oz I have a tip.  At most car parts shops you can get
some stuff
>called Disc Brake Quiet made by CRC.  It is a bright orange red coloured
goo which
>quite rapidly becomes quite tacky.  It never goes hard and always retains
it's
>elastic properties.  When it is dry it can be rubbed off with finger
friction so is
>easy to clean up or remove.
>
>It makes a wonderful adhesive where you might want to take things apart
again and
>don't need a lot of adhesion.  I have used it to secure focus rings and
then been
>able to easily remove them at a later date, rub off the stuff then re-glue
when
>finished.
>
>(Denton would love this stuff)
>Giles
>

>Matthias Wilke wrote:
>
>> to remove fat. Then a reattach the ring without any glue or cement. Except

----