Re: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring

Subject: Re: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:05:02 -0400
>Hi,
>I think the best method is to cut of the rubber sleeve, remove a piece
>of it and then carefully glue the pieces together again using superglue.
>The seam (joint?) is almost invisible. I have done this on some old
>Zuikos and at least on my Zuiko 28F2 the rubber sleeve is still tight 15
>years after this procedure. The method is also described on a homepage
>somewhere, but I do not remember the adress.
>
>best regards
>Mikael

My experience is just the contrary. Superglue makes the rubber stiff and
attacks the paint on the lens barrel. Besides, sometimes you want to remove
the rubber sleeve to get to the screws underneath, when servicing the lens.
Superglued rubber makes a mess of this. The worst thing you can do. Not
everything somebody puts on the Web is recommendable.

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas / Venezuela