Re: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring

Subject: Re: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:55:22 -0800
Kelton Rhoads wrote:

>Forgive me for I have sinned -- it has been four years since my last
>posting to the Olympus list. I lost the list when it moved from the old
>iastate.edu address and just recently found you folks again.

Wow, you missed A LOT!  Welcome back.

>Goodness, there are more of you than there used to be!

Hmm, in more ways than you know!  In your absence, the Zuiks not only
created -- see the newly founded OLY List Virtual Photo Gallery.  Many
Zuiks also _pro_created!  In fact, so many did, that I'm about to
launch a new research initiative on the effect of OM/Zuiko components
on fertility. :-)

>A few questions and comments:
>1) Has Olympus become a hot collectible item in the past 4 years that
>I've not been paying attention? I compared going prices on eBay and it
>appears that prices are about 40 0gher than average Shutterbug prices
>of 4 years ago. That seems a considerable jump to me. Or is that just
>the "miracle" of eBay?

Probably not.  I'd attribute this to Olympus Inc. which keeps raising
prices of the new OM gear, as well as to the burgeoning interest in
astrophotography and virtual reality, for which certain OM components
seem to be the perfect tools.

>2) It amuses me that after 4 years, the "imminent demise of the OM"
>thread is still going.
>[snip]
>Dr. Kelton Rhoads, Consulting Psychologist

This seems to be a very therapeutic occupation for Zuiks/Zuikettes,
and now, with you rejoining the list, we finally have a bona fide
resident shrink to supervise our periodic group therapy sessions. :-)

Andras Iklody-Szabo wrote (on the subject of rubber grips):

>If you want longevity, try to avoid rubber and go with lenses of
>knurled metal rings.

Unfortunately, Olympus never made knurled metal rings for the OM
Zuikos, although the did make them in the past -- for the FTL and
Pen/FT lenses.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA