RE: [OM] Blade Count request for lens page

Subject: RE: [OM] Blade Count request for lens page
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:04:25 +0100
Hi,

>Hehehe, it weighs only 50 gram more than the 65-200 but gives me 65 mm
extra
>focal length. It weighs 125 gram less than the 85-250 and still gives me 35
>mm extra focal length. Yes it weighs 780 gram and has a one touch design.

Yes, yesterday after reading your message I checked Farrar's Zuiko lenses
page and couldn't believe that difference either. I remembered that the
85-250 @F5 weighed some 930 grams, so I concluded that a 50-250 @F5 must
certainly be heavier than that, however, I was wrong :)

Where the actual extra focal length is concerned I think the main advantage
of your lens lies in the additional 50 mm on the telephoto side; the 15 mm
between 50-65 mm is not all that interesting, as I think it's unlikely
you'll use the lens a lot for taking 50mm pictures ;)

Hmmm, I guess the main reason why the 65/200 is almost as heavy of your lens
must be the F4 vs. the F5 max. aperture...

>Rumours say that is is one of the best zoom lenses. At least its design is
>more modern than the other two long Zuiko zooms. But of course all three
are
>good. They're Zuiks, and Zuiks don't stink.

It sounds interesting, however, I'm quite happy with the 65/200 so I would
only "upgrade" it if I could get a really good deal on a 50/250. Besides, I
was actually pleasantly surprised by how sharp the 65/200 mm is, the only
real disadvantage I can think of is its weight which makes it difficult to
hand hold it steady when taking pictures at lower shutter speeds than, say,
1/60th...
Arguably so, the F4 is a limiting factor too, but that actually doesn't
bother me so much, besides, Olympus fastest fixed 200mm lens is also F4 (of
course there's the high-end 180, 250 and 350mm lenses but these are way too
expensive for my likings, and rather heavy too)...

>was right, which I can't imagine. At the botton of the SIF specs there's a
>nasty line: "Specifications subject to change without notice". :-( Oh well,
>at least it's still an F5.

Hehehe, are you sure it's not actually F11 then ? ;))))

>Btw, the OM System Lens Handbook names a 0.85 m close focus distance for
the
>65-200.

Interesting, very interesting... Yesterday I considered that my
recollections of the min. close focus distance might be off, so I tried it
again, and sure enough (unless I'm really crap at estimating distances,
which I don't think is the case) mine focuses at some 40-50 CM! I'll try
again tonight to see if I can more accurately measure the actual min.
distance...

>Yes I live near Amsterdam (fijn weer eens een Nederlander op de lijst te
>zien :-) - but I'm really not that anxious to see exact test data (and
>wouldn't know how to produce them either).

Well, I basically meant comparing results of both lenses rather than
producing exact test data, as I don't exactly know how to do that either...
BTW: do you know some good places for buying 2nd handed gear near A'dam (a
while ago I called a fair amount of stores, but none of them had any items
I'm really looking for)?

>I didn't buy it because its supposed superiority or its collectors value,

The "superiority" sounds like a fair argument (why not by the best lens if
possible?), however, I personally think considering lenses to be
"collector's items" is just bollocks. These lenses were made to be used, not
to be polished up nicely and stored away behind glass - that would be a real
waste...:)))

>a too large gap in focal length, and because of its reasonable weight and
>its one-touch design. Two bodies and two lenses covering super wide to near
>super tele :-)

Yes, as a supplement to this zoom I have the 35/70 F4 zoom, that way I can
cover the 35/200 mm range in F4 by only two lenses, not bad! For the wide
angle range I have the 24mm F2.8 and the 28mm F3.5. Then, I have two 50mm
F1.8's and one 135mm F2.8. Some of these lenses used to belong to my father,
but when he went to AF Canon he didn't have a real use for them anymore,
hence the F3.5 version of the 28mm and the two 50mm's :)))

Cheers!
Olaf