[OM] OM 4T & non Olympus flash guns

Subject: [OM] OM 4T & non Olympus flash guns
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:51:56 -0800
Hello everyone:

I am the recent new boy on the block! Thank you all for such a wonderful
welcome.

I have an OM 4T body and the following electronic flash guns:

        Braun - model 320 BVC
        Vivitar auto thyristor - model 283

Both guns have hot shoes and standard cables. The OM 4T body does not have
a regular flash gun socket. Instead it has that five pin plug right
underneath the film speed dial / rewind lever.

I have used both guns with my M3 for many years with no problems. The M3
has no electronic circuitry which could be affected by any back flow or
surge of power from the flash.

Is it safe to use to use these guns with my OM 4T body's hot shoe?

Where could I find a cable [both female ends] that will connect to the
body's five pin flash cable outlet and the end of the guns' standard flsh
cble? I have enquired of some local Olympus outlets and they said "that's a
tough one ...... you'll have to ask around"!

Both guns have sensing eyes to capture the reflected flash. Assuming that I
can use them with the OM 4T body are there likely to be any exposure
problems given the OM 4T's metering system?

jh