Re: [OM] OM 4T & non Olympus flash guns

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 4T & non Olympus flash guns
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:48:09 +0100
John Hudson wrote:

> Hello everyone:
>
> I am the recent new boy on the block! Thank you all for such a wonderful
> welcome.
>
> I have an OM 4T body and the following electronic flash guns:
>
>         Braun - model 320 BVC
>         Vivitar auto thyristor - model 283
>
> Both guns have hot shoes and standard cables. The OM 4T body does not have
> a regular flash gun socket. Instead it has that five pin plug right
> underneath the film speed dial / rewind lever.
>
> I have used both guns with my M3 for many years with no problems. The M3
> has no electronic circuitry which could be affected by any back flow or
> surge of power from the flash.
>
> Is it safe to use to use these guns with my OM 4T body's hot shoe?
>
> Where could I find a cable [both female ends] that will connect to the
> body's five pin flash cable outlet and the end of the guns' standard flsh
> cble? I have enquired of some local Olympus outlets and they said "that's a
> tough one ...... you'll have to ask around"!
>
> Both guns have sensing eyes to capture the reflected flash. Assuming that I
> can use them with the OM 4T body are there likely to be any exposure
> problems given the OM 4T's metering system?
>
> jh

The OM-4Ti has a standard PC flash sync socket hidden beside the lock
for the shutter speed dial. The manual does not state any electrical
restrictions on the sync socket or hot-shoe, so I suppose any flash
will work.

The five pin flash socket on the front is AFAIK a 1000roprietary
Olympus design. Only Olympus T-series flash cables will fit. I have
never seen suitable connectors from other brands. Which of course
doesn't prove anything...

You avoid exposure problems by setting the camera to manual and
select a shutter speed of 1/60 second or longer, just as with so
many other cameras.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"