Re: [OM] OM 4T & non Olympus flash guns

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 4T & non Olympus flash guns
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:51:51 -0600 (CST)

> Hello everyone:
>
> I am the recent new boy on the block! Thank you all for such a wonderful
> welcome.
>
> I have an OM 4T body and the following electronic flash guns:
>
>       Braun - model 320 BVC
>       Vivitar auto thyristor - model 283
>
> Both guns have hot shoes and standard cables. The OM 4T body does not have
> a regular flash gun socket. Instead it has that five pin plug right
> underneath the film speed dial / rewind lever.

Yes it does. Look for a rubber plug covering the PC socket lower down.

> I have used both guns with my M3 for many years with no problems. The M3
> has no electronic circuitry which could be affected by any back flow or
> surge of power from the flash.

Some flashes will still melt the contacts.

> Is it safe to use to use these guns with my OM 4T body's hot shoe?

I don't know about your flashes. Wein and other makers sell isolators
to protect cameras from dangerous flashes. I think they are just an SCR.
Wein's is called the "Safe Sync".

> Where could I find a cable [both female ends] that will connect to the
> body's five pin flash cable outlet and the end of the guns' standard flsh
> cble? I have enquired of some local Olympus outlets and they said "that's a
> tough one ...... you'll have to ask around"!
>
> Both guns have sensing eyes to capture the reflected flash. Assuming that I
> can use them with the OM 4T body are there likely to be any exposure
> problems given the OM 4T's metering system?

No.

> jh

Paul Farrar