Re: [OM] OM telephotos.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM telephotos.
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 06:31:15
At 12:40 AM 1/20/1999 EST, Gary you wrote in part:

>I used a massive unextended tripod on the 300mm w/ 2X and a weighted
tripod on
>the 100mm.  Joel Wilcox might be onto something with his recommendation
that a
>telephoto lens be supported with a tripod arm.  I think that lenses with
focal
>lengths from 150mm and up that rely only on the tripod socket of an OM body
>are not all that stable, even when the mirror is locked up (I used an OM-1n)
>and a long cable release used.  How else can one explain that a 100-200mm f/5
>Zuiko can be sharper at 400mm (with a 2X converter) than at 200mm (without a
>converter), considering that only at 400mm did I prop up the lens hood with
>another tripod?
>
>I suspect the 85-250mm f/5 Zuiko would perform great on a tripod because it
>comes with a tripod collar that balances the weight.  The 50-250mm f/5 lacks
>one and might suffer for it.
>
>Telephoto unsteadiness on a tripod might just be the price we pay for
>lightweight, petite construction of the OM bodies.
>
>BTW, I looked under an 8X loupe at the 200mm f/4 SC vs. MC results.
Virtually
>indistinguishable.  Looks like I'll need to test that lens for a 4th time,
>this time with a lens support arm, which is going on my personal "want list."
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Hi Gary,

Just for the record, the telephoto lens support I use is the Bogen
(Manfrotto) 3420.  The 200/4 is just "long" enough for the lens shade to
rest on the support, which telescopes outward for long configurations with
a 2X or longer lenses.  Obviously, I think it is important to minimize use
of the center post of the tripod.  There is a velcro strap that holds the
lens tight against the support, making verticals surprisingly stable as well.

Cheers,

Joel