RE: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Subject: RE: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 12:56:01 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 9 januari 1999 02:55
Ämne: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Frank Ernens wrote:

>There is no spot metering manual mode. You have to
>start in centre-weighted manual mode and push the "spot"
>button. Then you centre the bar graph (drawn, per (2),
>backwards, from right to left). Meanwhile, a second
>moving diamond - the next spot reading, which the
>camera is not using - is blinking away, distracting you.
>There has to be a SPOT button in order for multi-spot
>to work, but I'm only interested in a single spot reading.
>In this respect the OM2000 and OM-2SP are both much
>better cameras.

Never thought I´d read this...

>I know now that it wasn't lack of marketing or keen pricing
>which lost Olympus the SLR market. They no longer *have* a
>product worth marketing. I would not buy this camera new at
>any price.

Frank, although you say "I know now" I have a feeling that this is not
a totally new opinion of yours. Why is that?

Ken Norton answered:
>A common problem that many of us face when acquiring a new camera is
>attempting to use it in the same way that we use the old one.  This
can be
>a dangerous thing.  If you are looking for the simplicity of the
OM-1, you
>sure will not find it in the OM-4.  But that is a good thing.  If you
JUST
>want the functionality of the OM-1, then get an OM-1.  In my camera
bag(s)
>I have an OM-1(md), OM-2S, IS-3 and Mamiya Super23.  Each camera has
>specific purpose and use.  If I attempt astrophotography in the
middle of
>the winter with my OM-2S or IS-3, I will be severely disappointed.
>However, if I want to do macro-flash work, I would be a fool to use
the OM-1.

>As far as the exposure compensation dial is concerned... This is a
>complaint heard from Nikon users--not from the Olympus users.  I've
always
>thought that the Nikon dial was backwards.  And what about the focus
ring
>direction?  Which way is correct?  Hmm?

>Needle vs LCD display.  Are you serious?  Isn't 1/3 stop accuracy
good
>enough for you?  If you are bouncing around trying to get a shot from
an
>airplane/helocoptor/boat/horseback the last thing you want is a
mechanical
>meter jouncing 4 stops each direction.  Sorry, but this gripe is
really weak.

>Not every tool is for every task.  If I'm hammering nails I can't use
>screwdriver.  However I can drive screws with a hammer if I'm angry.

>Every "new" camera requires a "get acquainted" time.  I believe that
you
>wrote this one off before it had a chance to really prove itself to
you.
>I've come across this many times in teaching users how to use a new
>computer system.  I had one lady get angy because our IDIOTIC
computer
>system didn't let her use the letter "o" for a zero or lowercase-L
for a
>one.

>Before dumping on this camera, ask yourself whether or not you are
adapting
>to what it can really do or forcing it through your own narrow set of
>expectations.

>Ken

Although I havent used an OM-4 I want to say a few things. I can
easily see a lot of people on this list getting somewhat hurt by
Franks extremely negative judgement on the camera (just as I probably
would have felt if someone had written something similar about the
OM-2 S/P). This doesn´t mean that there is any reason to resort to
cryptic remarks about possible physical illness and such. Frank did
not attack anyone personally, and (as some of you already have pointed
out) everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Of those who have
posted answers to Frank so far the one from Ken is the most balanced
and well-considered, and one with which I can totally agree.

Per Nordenberg