RE: was [OM] /was/ People leaving the List /is ????

Subject: RE: was [OM] /was/ People leaving the List /is ????
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 15:31:43 +1100
Frank,

Thanks for the detailed reply - I'm constantly amazed at what I learn from
this list !

> Transylvania was that part of Hungary taken away in Versailles and
> given to Romania. Previously, it had been a separate administrative
> region in the Ottoman Empire. In more recent times, the population has
> been mixed Romanian and Magyar, so it has been a bone of contention
> between those two countries. Germans used to live there too. During
> WW2 Hungary received it as a bribe from Hitler. After the war it
> was given to Romania. The revolution which got rid of Ceaucescu started
> in Transylvania, partly because the Hungarian minority were sick of
> being persecuted, but with the support of ethnic Romanians. This
> continued a long history of political leadership, including resistance
> to and eventual secession from the Ottoman Empire.
>
> So, I think the domain is ".ro", but there might be Romanians or
> Hungarians reading from other countries. Even if we don't have any
> list members from there, I wouldn't like to see this thread go the way
> of the one about Germany.

        Very true !
        Another confusing aspect of the internet is that you can't assume
that if someone has a particular address that they are writing from that
country.  I have a US address because I work for a US company which has a
worldwide network, but am actually located in Melbourne, Australia.  A lot
of people also use services like HOTMAIL which give them a US address.