Re: was [OM] /was/ People leaving the List /is ????

Subject: Re: was [OM] /was/ People leaving the List /is ????
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 22:38:22 +1100
Wayne Harridge wrote:

> Do we have any Transylvanian list members ?  I do not know what to
> look for as a country code in the address.

Transylvania was that part of Hungary taken away in Versailles and
given to Romania. Previously, it had been a separate administrative
region in the Ottoman Empire. In more recent times, the population has
been mixed Romanian and Magyar, so it has been a bone of contention
between those two countries. Germans used to live there too. During
WW2 Hungary received it as a bribe from Hitler. After the war it
was given to Romania. The revolution which got rid of Ceaucescu started
in Transylvania, partly because the Hungarian minority were sick of
being persecuted, but with the support of ethnic Romanians. This
continued a long history of political leadership, including resistance
to and eventual secession from the Ottoman Empire.

So, I think the domain is ".ro", but there might be Romanians or
Hungarians reading from other countries. Even if we don't have any
list members from there, I wouldn't like to see this thread go the way
of the one about Germany. US list members should be aware that places
which seem distant or unimportant to them are very important to some
people, and that non-Americans are often amazed and horrified at what
the average American does not know of world history and geography. I
was once complimented by a (university-educated) American on my
English - he had apparently confused Australia and Austria. The moral
is that if you're sketchy on facts, don't launch a broadside or post
an unfunny "joke." Don't anyway - this is a photography list.

I believe Transylvania is far from sylvan - lots of coal mines and
steel works. I did once set out to go there on a train with my OM-1,
but we got sick and bailed out to Yugoslavia. This was before the
Wall came down, and there might have been some good pictures assuming
the police didn't take the OM stuff. That particular trip would
have been difficult with a modern wonderbrick - no battery supply.