[OM] thought to lens tests

Subject: [OM] thought to lens tests
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 13:29:21 +0200
Hi all,

I just want to give thought to lens tests. First I think the most lenses
available have seldom the opportunity to show their full optical power,
because the photographer can make so many other mistakes than buying a
really bad lens. Then concerning commercial tests (not personal tests by
users) I think it should be a matter of course to buy the specimen in
ordinary shops (as my beloved Stiftung Warentest does) and not to achieve
the lenses from the technical labour of the manufacturer. Then, to take an
evidence seriously, it would involve testing more then one specimen, for
example ten (very expensive for the author, I do not know a single
publication, which does so). Concerning the modern plastic lenses tests
after a few years of use would be interesting, too. Then another question,
there are lenses, which absolutely need their lens hood (for example
relatively short lenses). Are tests done with the proper lens hood or
without? The next phenomen with lens tests is, that only special macro
lenses are tested with different working distances, others only with regard
to one distance. Which distance is choosen by the testers? Is it possible
that one lens is randomly tested at its optimal distance and another not?
O.k., with zoom lenses there are three different factors, aperture, focal
length and distance, so the number of possible settings for testing is very
huge, and you have to choose representative settings.
Matthias