Re: [OM] New here.

Subject: Re: [OM] New here.
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 18:23:18 +0000
Yes, but what I meant to say, I suppose, is that the urban myth does not
seem to apply to Zuikos.  I believe Olympus lens designers must not only
have done what was necessary to overcome the inherent problems with
faster designs but went one step further so that their faster lenses
actually achieved a higher level of performance.

I think this was quite deliberate - a sort of product differentiation
between different lens lines - to ensure that the faster more prestigious
offerings delivered a bit more in performance for the hefty difference in
price.

An example of this that immediately springs to mind was back in the 80's
when Porsche artificially limited the top speed of the 944 turbo so that
customers who purchased the more expensive 928 weren't embarrassed and
cheesed off by 944's blasting past them on the autobahns.  Please do not
take this off-topic.

I do not mean or intend to seem elitist.  I know it is not PC to make the
assertion that I have  but the assertion that the slower Zuikos also have
better performance often seems to take on aspects of dogma, with for me
anyway, little or no basis in fact.

If someone seeks advice as to which Zuiko of a particular focal length has
the highest performance then I believe they should be given unbiased and
objective assessments (well as much as is possible) not PC dogma.

I reiterate that I do not believe having a lens with a smidgen better
performance will necessarily equate to better results in many or most
instances.  If the shot is out of focus it will probably be even more so
at f2 ;-)

Duck!  Incoming!

Giles