Re: [OM] New here.

Subject: Re: [OM] New here.
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 01:02:35 +0000
I have never understood the basis for this urban myth/truism.

For Zuikos at least, the opposite would seem to be the case going by
discussions on this list and lens tests.

For almost every focal length/zoom range the fastest lens would appear to
have better performance as far as I can determine:

350mm f2        300mm f4.5
250mm f2        200mm f2
180mm f2        180mm f2.8
135mm f2.8      135mm f3.5 ?
100mm f2        100mm f2.8
50mm f1.2       50mm f1.8
50mm f2 M       50mm f3.5 M
35mm f2         35mm f2.8
28mm f2         28mm f2.8
24mm f2         24mm f2.8 ?
21mm f2         21mm f2.8

35-80mm f2.8    35-70 f3.6

Hold the matches! -  let me first say that far more important than these
differences is the users skill.  F2 will not a good photographer make -
though it won't hurt ;-)

You may now strike your matches.

Giles