Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:17:43 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Denton Taylor wrote:

|> > to Chile.  I dutifully spot-metered about 750f my shots using a linear
|> > polarizer.  Almost every one of those shots was 1-3 stops overexposed,
|> > and all are of course irreplaceable.
|>
|>   Geez, Lee...irreplaceable shots, and you did not bracket ? What if the
|> processor's chemistry was a bit "hot" that day, temperature or run-wise ?
|> Or your shutter fast/slow ?
|> What if the emulsion was a bit off ? All of this can and does happen.
|> A third of a stop easily can result. When
|> it counts, BRACKET!! When it is REALLY important, BLH (bracket like hell)
|> and get it on two different cameras/rolls. Do not send them all in at the
|> same time. Wait to see how the first set comes out. If it is E-6 you may
|> have the option of doing a clip test & pushing/pulling it.
|

|Now I must say, I find the idea of bracketing to be wasteful and definitely
|not in line with the minimalist thinking approach that an OM body
|encourages. What's the point of having a sophisticated spot metering system
|if one resorts to the spray-and-pray style of photography? May as well get
|a Nikon or Canon auto-everything!
|
|I feel a sense of pride when I take only one shot, as I usually do, and get
|that exposure right on the money. If I blow it, I know I have to work harder!
|
|Besides, Lee says his exposures were off as much as three stops. Would you
|bracket 1/2 stop in each direction for three stops? That's 12 exposures per
|subject!
|
|Once in a while I find myself needing to bracket, but I do it as little as
|possible...

I agree with Denton here: bracketing is ridiculously wasteful of film
if used purely as a crutch for poor exposure judgement.  The ideal aim
is to refine exposure judgement to the point where, if one is down to
one's last frame on one's last roll, and one has a Pulitzer Prize-
winning scene before them, one has enough confidence and skill to KNOW
they can MAKE---not just TAKE!---the proper exposure. :-)

Sure, some exposures are tough to judge.  At times, I shoot a lot of
nighttime or otherwise dimly lit scenes where an 18 0rey reference
object is not readily available.  At those times, I prefer to lean on
the advice of one of my favorite photographers, Canada's Freeman
Patterson.  Freeman notes that if one MUST exposure bracket, try to
bracket in one direction only---not on both sides of your best guess
exposure.

There are other types of bracketing besides exposure bracketing.  One
can bracket horizontal, vertical, or even diagonal! compositions,
especially useful for those seeking to sell photos to publishers,
where the photo must compete with text for space.  One can also
bracket with respect to aperture/shutter speed effects.  One can also
bracket with respect to filter effects.

However, even these types of bracketing, like exposure bracketing,
should be experimental exercises conducted to gain useful empirical
data to be used later on so that in future similar situations, film
doesn't have to be wasted.  I understand the needs of working pros who
bracket because they simply HAVE TO get the photos.  However, apart
from this occupational extreme, no serious photographer should have to
waste film.