Re: [OM] f/2 vs. f/2.8 primes.......

Subject: Re: [OM] f/2 vs. f/2.8 primes.......
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:01:21 +0200
>1) are the slower primes generally equal to the faster primes?  (wide
>angle again...)

(sometimes the faster primes are not equal to the slower, see below)

>2)  how is the 28mm/2.8?  i have read the list daily for ages, and not a
>lot of conversation has taken place on this one.........

I used this lens and found it very good, great contrast. There is a little
bit distorsion. Today I have the 28mm 1:2.0 which is very good, too. But
its contrast is not higher than that of the 1:2,8. You can use the full
aperture of 1:2,0 with this lens, the pictures are brilliant enough. (I
tried a Pentax-M SMC 35mm 1:2,0 which was in my opinion to soft wide open).
Somewhere in the Internet there was a test which said, that the Zuiko 28mm
1:2,0 has almost no distorsion. There is one point which was not discussed
with bright wide angle lenses, I think, there is vignetting which you can
see with 28mm and 1:2,0 in pictures for example with sky. So if You want to
avoid vignetting, You have to stop down one or two steps.

Matthias