Re: [OM] f/2 vs. f/2.8 primes.......

Subject: Re: [OM] f/2 vs. f/2.8 primes.......
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 20:40:34 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 16:24:18 PST you write:
>i am wondering about the quality of the wide angle prime zuikos,
>specifically the 24, 28 and 35mm's.  i recently returned from 3 months
>in india and nepal, carrying the 24/2 and the 35/2, as well as 50/3.5
>and 100/2.8.  as i have a 50/3.5 and 100/2.8, both of which are 49mm, i
>am considering buying a 28mm/2.8 to replace the 24 and 35 for
>travelling.  (so my outfit would be 28, 50 and 100.  small and light,
>all 49mm.)

This to me would be a mistake.  While you will not notice the difference
in quality (except at very close distances, where the close focusing
correction mechanism in the 24/2 should result in better images), you
will probably feel very restricted by the angle of view of a 28mm.  I
almost never use my 28/3.5, although it is very sharp.  My next purchase
will probably be a 21/2.0 to replace a 24/2.0 that was stolen a while
back, and I have more than one friend who use 20mm's as their
*standard* lens on their Nikons.  Also, I've never understood this
philosophy that says you should buy all lenses with a 49mm filter
thread.  While it is true that Oly makes a wide range of lenses that use
a 49mm thread, thus allowing you to carry one set of filters for all
lenses, how often do you actually *use* a filter?  I find with Velvia
that I almost never need to use a polarizer anymore.  Finally, Oly makes
a wide range of lenses with the 55mm thread also (almost all the faster
ones up to 200mm).  However, no one ever seems to recognize this.  All
you ever hear is "isn't it great that Oly makes a wide range of lenses
that all use a 49mm thread."  If weight and size are a consideration,
though, the lower weight and size of the 49mm thread lenses can
certainly be a consideration *if* you plan on carrying every lens
between 21 and 200mm.  If you are only carrying 5-6 lenses, you won't
likely notice the difference.  Price is also a concern, certainly, as
the faster lenses cost more (sometimes significantly more) than the
slower ones.

Cheers,
--Lee