Re: [OM] E-bay bargains

Subject: Re: [OM] E-bay bargains
From: "Rand E. Tomcala" <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 19:30:14 -0800
I very much must agree with Gary R. on his post.  I do shows, Ebay, and
the fleas frequently.  Here in Baltimore, to say that there isn't much
in the line of used non-plastic Oly stuff is a gross understatement.  I
have the fleas where knowledge and effort pays off, but seldom.  The
shows I can get nice things sometimes, but the shows around here rarely
have any good Oly stuff that priced too high.  An example of this is the
norm for a decent (8.5 - 9.0) OM2n body is $170 to 200 USD.  On Ebay
this is more like $140 USD for the same item.  Again Ebay takes work and
planning to get items like this.   I daily scan Ebay for items of
interest and bookmark them and track them.  If an item exceeds my idea
of a good price I merely erase the bookmark and forget the item.
  Yesterday after work I noticed a Tamron 2x Flat Field Converter on
Ebay and the price was staying fairly low ($20) till very late in the
auction.  I bookmarked it and checked periodically during the evening.
Near the end of the auction the bid moved to $21 with about 2 minutes to
go.  I had been wanting this item for my Tamron 90mm f2.5 for quite a
while so I decided to take it.  With one minute to go, I placed my one
and only bid with a max of $44.  As I said, I wanted it and was willing
to pay for it.  I won the bid at $30.88, this price is higher than a
couple of these that I have seen go, but is lower than most of them.  To
me, the bigest attraction of Ebay is selection and market.  Each
depending on if I am buying or selling something.  There are many tricks
that I have seen on Ebay that get higher prices for the same item.  It's
called marketing and is not a dirty word, but it does take effort to be
effective at it.
Rand E.