Re: [OM] Benbo tripods - which?

Subject: Re: [OM] Benbo tripods - which?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:06:10 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Charles Loeven wrote:

> If you want to shoot long, you need a long lens.
> If you have a long lens, you need a heavy tripod.

  Actually, a rigid tripod. No one here has mentioned the Gitzo Carbons,
which has become quite popular with wildlife photographers.

> It is a matter of controlling the amplified vibration and amount of
> enlargement.

  This can be helped greatly by using a Bogen "Long lens support", an
extra leg that goes from the camera tripod socket to one of the tripod
legs.Part # 3252. Clumsy to set up, or switch to vertical or viceversa,
but real steady.

> I don't think that a Benbo is going to be much better than a Bogen than a
> Slick if the weight and conditions are the same.

  The design of the Benbo has definite advantages for field use. The
abilities to conform to irregular terrain are unique (save for the
copycat/improved version, Uniloc). It is faster to set up & take down, and
unequaled for macro. Plus, the sealed legs let you go in mud & crud
without having to endure the cleaning ritual later. One can just hose the
legs off.

> I agree with Doris, I like my little lenses.

  It's what makes OM so seductive for me. For "big", I have N*k*n.

                                        *= Doris Fang =*