Re: [OM] Benbo tripods - which?

Subject: Re: [OM] Benbo tripods - which?
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:11:32 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx wrote:

| If you want a light weight tripod - I have a Magic 2 which I take
|hicking.  I can't imagine a full size tripod that is more light
|weight t is easier to carry and works.  Not sure if it will support
|300/f4.5 - Ill try and test it - but it makes it easier to leave home
|w/ a tripod!

I can vouch for the Magic 2 as an effective tripod for enses up to
about 200mm.  I haven't tried the TRIPOD with the 300/4.5 although I
have used the MONOPOD (the combo of the centerpost and the longest
leg) to successfully support the 300/4.5 at a pro football game.

|You can use the rest of the camera bag to hang on the little shelp to
|stablize it. The ball that comes with it is a little funky but usable
|as is. It comes with a quick release plate too.
|
|It is certainly not the Rock of Gabralter but it works for me.

I disposed of the little Cullman ballhead years ago (I don't think I
ever used it) in favor of a Slik Pro ballhead I already own.  I will
probably add at least two more tripods in the future: a UniLoc (by the
original Benbo designers) and a conventional tripod design.  My heart
leans toward the Gitzo carbon fiber units, but my wallet screams,
"Hell NO!!!"