Re: [OM] Stylus Epic, OM-1 vs 24/21

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic, OM-1 vs 24/21
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:47:06 -0800
>From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On 8 Nov 98, at 12:58, Jan Steinman wrote:
>
>> >Sure, I'd love to see a few examples...
>> An example is <http://www.bytesmiths.com/photos/CoopersSpurPanorama.jpg>.
>> This was shot with the 21/3.5 in portrait, with 13 separate shots, scanned
>> in, then stitched together using PhotoVista...
>
>I'm a little confused by this shot - each shot should be about 60 deg.
>coverage, but it appears you've only used a narrow vertical slice of each
>shot,
>for a total panorama of ~ 150 - 180 degrees (? Just a guess) Was there a
>reason for using so many samples?...

It's a 360. PhotoVista recommends an overlap of about 50 0.000000or best
stitching. They recommend 12 shots for a 21mm lens in portrait -- I came up
with 13 because the Bogen 410 pan head I was using didn't easily come up
with 12 shots. (There are 200 turns per 360 degrees, rather than 180 --
STUPID!)

>Also, the centre two stripes containing the sun seem to lack contrast and
>definition in the rocks. Is this flare related.

Yup. That one shot was dead-on into the sun. When I set up, I arranged it
so only one shot would have direct sun, but there was no avoiding it.

>Did you use the same aperture for all shots?

Yes, it was f16, set to hyperfocus. I took 8 spots on neutral-looking rock
in all directions, and memorized. I think it was 1/125th.

BTW: that was my first ever panorama. I've gotten much better at it!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229