Re: [OM]self discharge 15V NiCd control pack ?

Subject: Re: [OM]self discharge 15V NiCd control pack ?
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 16:46:01 +0100
Hello Frank, Paul and William,

thanks for the prompt anwsers, so sorry, I´d had not much time so my
reply is a little bit late.

Frank van Lindert wrote:

> Even if the control LEDs don't light anymore, some of the packs still
> give 15 volts...

I checked it, and yes my pack shows then a tension of around 15V. To
avoide an deep discharge in one of the cells, I start to recharge the
pack when the LED stops to light. I´m limiting the charging time to 4
hours to avoid overcharge in the cells.

> One measurement in any 8 hours (and a few more) immediately
> after recharging) will give you a good idea of the discharge rate.

I´m going to do this during the next re- and discharging cycle.

> It is still usable with 1 or 2 cells out, but the LED won't light
> anymore and the number of shots to be taken per recharge gets smaller
> too.

It´s not so bad yet.

Paul wrote:

> and did come up with a couple
> of references to the fact that the nominal discharge rate of NiCd batteries
> should be on the order of 1%/day.

That´s what I experienced with my other NiCd cells, so the 15V pack acts
strange.

William Sommerwerck wrote:

> I've owned two of these, and both have gone bad in the same way -- a
> full charge will power many rolls of film, but the pack rapidly
> self-discharges.

Exactly what my pack does.

> I recently had NiMH cells put in my M.15V.

How long do they hold there charge unused? I´m asking, because
traveling, you might not have a chance to recharge the pack. Even if the
pack might be good for more than 40 rolls of film, does the charge last
for more than a month?

> Since NiMH cells have no
> memory (as far as I know), there is no excuse for not _briefly_ charging
> the pack after each use.

Memory effect was no problem with the other cells. I use an "inteligent"
charger for them, but not for the more expensive 15V pack, so the
problem of overcharging still persists.

Regards

Richard