Re: [OM] Tripod heads and quick release

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod heads and quick release
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 10:35:24 EST
In a message dated 11/4/98 11:07:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< My question is, has anyone on the list had any experience with the RRS
 plates or this B-2 clamp on OM bodies? How is it in practice? Clearance
 issues? Quality?  How well do their plates really mate with the OM's?

After saving up for many months, I just moved up from a bogen 3026 double
action ball joint head (small plates, not the big hex plate) to the "cadillac"
setup of the Arca Swiss B1 plus RRS plates.    The 3026 worked ok, and I would
recommend the setup for OM users on a budget.   The mounting plates are very
small, light, available, and don't interfere at all with the operation of the
camera or lenses.   I managed to get around the problem of plates twisting on
the camera body by using a set screw in the offset threaded hole of the
mounting plate, with a small leather gasket to protect the finish of the
camera  (In fact, if anyone is interested in purchasing, let me know by
private e-mail).   The ball head works great with everything up to my 300/4.5
.

The Arca Swiss/RRS combo is much better, though.   The RRS plates are
outstanding in quality, better than the Kirk plates, IMO.   They mount flush
and very solidly to my 4t's.   They do not interfere at all with the operation
of the DOF buttons.  They also have a small lip on the edge to prevent
twisting on the camera body - very nice.   They look and feel like a part of
the camera when mounted on them.

All in all, this is the best combination, although at the highest price.   If
you can afford it, I would highly recommend the both the B1 and the RRS
plates.

Regards,

Greg Logiodice