Re: [OM] Tripod heads and quick release

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod heads and quick release
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 19:45:21 -0800
>From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Also, has anyone on the list done the "amputation" operation to remove the
>Bogen hex-plate mounting superstructure on the Bogen BS heads to install a
>B-2 clamp?

No, but I've "transplanted" a 3270 QR plate to a 3265 "joystick" ball, so I
could use the same QR system with my 410 mini-gear head.

>I have tried to see if the superstructure would come off mine
>and I can't get the hex nuts to budge at all - any tricks?

If it's like the 3265, it uses an "aircraft nut" that has plastic embedded
in it to combat self-loosening. I had to give it a h*ll of a crank to get
it off.

>Has anyone found any other quick release systems worthy of mention in the 6
>months since this topic was last raised? Anyone else having similar
>problems and developed a workaround?

I do like the 3270 better than the hex plates. It's bigger, but no sharp
edges. In fact, being bigger is okay, because an OM body with most lenses
will balance on the plate, keeping the bottom of the camera pristine. Then
if you bang it on a rock, you replace a $10 plate instead of losing $50 of
resale value... :-)

Another advantage over the elegant, but expensive, Arca-style plates: the
whole 3270 QR is only about $30, and plates are only about $10.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229