Re: [OM] Oly resurgent/NY Show/IPIX

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly resurgent/NY Show/IPIX
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:32:25 +0800
Hi Jim,

In my opinion if someone posted the information based on his source that he
believe is reliable and without modifying them intentionally then what he
has said cannot be treated as lies, right? I am not sure who you are
referred to, but the wording of "lies" or "d***d lies" are rather impolite!

I have posted the reports from Oct 98 issue of "Electronics Business Asia"
magazine, which shown the "Electronics sales" of Olympus is US2765 millions
in year 98 ending March 31, while Nikon is US2500 millions. The ranking of
Olympus was up from 29 to 24 (fiscal 97 compared with 96) while Nikon was
down from 25 to 29. The data from the magazine is quite close to the data
issued by individual companies except Nikon, which the sales data from
Nikon's home page is lower than the one indicated on the magazine.

To be fair, the total sales of Nikon is 2819 mil and Olympus is 2765 mil
(as again indicated on the magazine), where Nikon is a bit higher. But the
growth of Nikon is only 1.8% while Olympus is 17.6%. Also, the net income
of Olympus is 71 mil while Nikon is 63 mil.

The data you posted is a bit outdated here, the different between Nikon and
Olympus is now very close. Some more company reports can be found below:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/Profile/annualE.html

http://www.minolta.co.jp/mo1/mo13/mo133-ae.html

http://www.pentax.co.jp/japan/p_menu/index.html

C.H.Ling