Re: [OM] OLY flashes for portrait work - T32 Diffuser

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY flashes for portrait work - T32 Diffuser
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 16:33:37 +0000
Ralph wrote:

>I've heard mention of a diffuser a few times.  What is available as a diffuser
>for a T32?

I use a surgical tape called Micropore.  It's papery, thin and peels off
easily, like masking tape.  It diffuses the flash just enough without
robbing loads of power, and costs next to nothing.

John Gaasland wrote:

>I read about a person who
>used cloth to cover the output of the T-20 to cut the light in half
>during fill flash. I would imagine this would have to be done in manual
>mode, or the TTL or auto functions would just extend the flash time to
>compensate?

It would, but only up to the limit of output.  You can use manual and normal
auto flash as fill-in by setting an aperture one smaller than on the flash
(e.g. set lens at f8 when flash panel says f5.6).  The unit then gives the
light required, but only 50 0ets to the film - results it 1 stop under
correct illumination.

>How would you know how much cloth to use to cut the light in
>half? I guess you could use 10ft as distance and asa 100 film speed, and
>a flash meter to experiment with how much cloth. Then using those
>numbers, you could calculate for other distances and film speeds. Any
>thoughts would be appreciated. John.

Either trial and error (using slide film to accurately show the exposure
variation) or a flash meter, as you proposed.  I use the tape mentioned
above, because I can cut it to fit the flash window, and thereby retain
normal auto, which uses a cell in the 'O' of Olympus on the front of the
flash unit.  I'd recommend using the minimum amount of material required to
provide adequate diffusion.

Simon E.