Re: [OM] Oly resurgent/NY Show/IPIX

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly resurgent/NY Show/IPIX
From: Jim Loudon <jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 08:58:39 -0500
Replying to couple of posts on this thread:

> Olympus is very large in the imaging businesses (CCD) in the
> medical field - endoscope.

Yes, I'm familiar with the endoscope -- there have been
a couple of posts on the list concerning same, and the
OM to endoscope adapter always shows up somewhere in
the system charts.  I'm also familiar with the medical
imaging division's substantial contribution to Olympus'
bottom line.

The instrument my wife will be getting is essentially a
microscope with a digital imaging head.  She specializes
in human blood diseases and has no use for an endoscope :-)

If the quality of the digital imaging system is adequate
(that's the big "if" in all of this), she sees immediate
applications in teaching and consulting.

> It's been years, but I knew of some of this kind of thing because back
> in the mid-80s, some companies were building medical imaging systems
> around the Amiga computer line, which I was designing at the time.

Interesting.  Coulter built an instrument (an automated diff
counter) many years ago which used _two_ Nova minicomputers to
drive a Zeiss microscope.  No CCDs, either...

jim