Re: [OM] OM gallery into a book?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM gallery into a book?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 15:43:40 -0700
I'll let others kick this idea around for awhile before weighing in...

..however, on the topic of the Gallery, I have a small announcement to make.
From approximately 4:30 P.M. MST Monday November 2nd (Western Canada: GMT
-07:00) to about 9:00 A.M. the following morning, IF EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT AND
THE DIGITAL GODS SMILE ON ME, 'kaska' (the server on which the Oly Gallery is
physically hosted) will be going down for badly-needed maintenance and
upgrading.  If everything goes right, kaska will be joined by 'tagish' Tuesday
around 9:00 A.M. local time, with full mirroring, proper backup, proper primary
and secondary DNS, and "insanely great" honking big hard drives so's I can put
lots and lots of submissions up.  ;-)

kaska's now taking approximately one million hits/month, with the majority of
that being traffic to the Oly Gallery, so this is required.  And that's just
the Web traffic!  Not bad for an old 100MHz 486, hmmm?  Much of the kudos goes
to the great software (Linux and Apache, amongst others), as well as a great
tech support team (all volunteer, I might add) that knows their stuff *cold*.

If everything goes wrong, on the other hand, you may not see the Oly Gallery
come back for several days.  Don't panic -- we're motivated to get it back up
and running as fast as humanly possible.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/