[OM] common sense?

Subject: [OM] common sense?
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 06:16:43 -0800
Might I inject a bit of "common sense" (hmmm...) in this business about
the shift adapter made in Germany?

The mounting flange of a Zuiko lens is 5mm deep. So, in order to shift
the lens, you have to displace it at least 5mm from the camera body. For
a 28mm lens, the focusing distance would therefore start about 30 cm
from the film plane (yes, I checked) -- hardly the near-infinity needed
for architectural photography!

And just because you can shift a conventional lens doesn't mean the
shift is usable. The 35mm and 24mm shift Zuikos are specifically
designed to have very wide coverage. Conventional lenses aren't.

I remember a 35mm shift-swing lens of some years back -- but it was part
of a bellows-based close-up system.

After I wrote this, I saw the comment that the adapter adapts _medium
format_ lenses to 35mm cameras. Ah! Well, _that_ explains _that_. The
longer focal length and greater coverage of medium format lenses make
shifting practical.