Re: [OM] 4T, 4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] 4T, 4Ti
From: e3ujxj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Joe X. Jackson)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:00:16 -1077026 (EST)

> > I guess the plain old OM4T must be the "Tundra" model (used in
> > prehistoric times to photograph mastodons), and then was switched to Ti
> > when titanium was discovered!  (Tongue firmly in cheek! :-) )
>
> Nice. The OM-1/2n must be the models for 'nowhere'.
>
> > Actually, got an email response from Olympus in NY and they said the
> > "i," is indeed for "international" and not for the i in the symbol Ti =
> > Titanium!  Although, we know that the symbol "is" Ti, no disputing that,
> > of course, just that Oly didn't use it in that sense.
>
> Interesting. So not mentioning the 'i' must mean 'national' then? ;-)
> Living in Europe I can't help to recognize the 'united states = the
> world' syndrome, in which the 'T' standing for 'national' sure makes
> sense ;-)
>
> If I'm correct the OM-4Ti is the name in Japan too...? If your
> explaination is right then please explain why they sell the
> 'international' version in their own country.

okay, i'll weigh in...i always assumed it meant "Titanium", but i'm
not married to the idea. if olympus has decreed that it means "international",
despite the fact that they don't make the cameras in america, i'd
be willing to accept that. it doesn't make much sense, but the decisions
companies make in the name of marketing seldom do. (i was once in a
meeting in which a member of the marketing department, upon being asked
if he had done market research for a particularly silly pet project of
his, replied "i don't need to do market research. i'm in marketing." which
has nothing whatsoever to do with olympus, of course.)

to pursue a course of peace, i propose that we declare that it stands for
"indefinable", and start talking about things like why i can't afford
any more zuiko lenses.

--
                                   | Yo, ye pharaohs, let us walk
                       joe jackson | through this barren desert
              e3ujxj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx | in search of truth and some pointy boots