Re: [OM] Zuiko 200mmf4.0 MC lens (and camera show)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 200mmf4.0 MC lens (and camera show)
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 98 11:02:05 GMT

>Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:32:31 -0600
>From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
>
>I agree with Ingemar.  If I had to choose only one telephoto lens, it would
>be my Zuiko 200mm f4.  Check out The Unofficial Olympus Photo Gallery in my
>section for some shots (albeit in black & white, and somewhat grainy
>because of using TMax 400) using this lens.
>
>I have a 135mm, which I seldom use, and both 300mm and 100mm, which I
>haven't owned long enough to do anything with.  I've no experience with the
>f5 version of this lens, so I cannot offer any comparative opinions.
>
>regards,
>
>Mahlon

Having only recently had the opportunity to use a 200mm f5 SC, have to say
that I prefer it to the f4 MC both in terms of size and subjective image
quality.

The 135mm f3.5 has had a lot of use for taking computer screen shots and
seems ideal for the job.

There was a camera show here in Bristol on Sunday - woke up late and
thought about staying in bed but the lure of possible Zuiko bargains
dragged an unwilling body through the gale force winds into the car.
Arrived to find that the clocks had been put back by an hour and that I was
an "early bird".  British Summer Time is over - hadn't noticed it starting
this year.....

Being an early bird means that you pay an extra $5 to watch the dealers
scurrying around and snapping up anything of value from the privateers -
interesting exercise in observing human nature.  Ask me over a drink
sometime ;-)

There was a table full of OM kit being run by a guy I recognised as having
sold me gear privately in the past.  He said he was moving to a better
system, Canon.

I managed to rescue a 2x converter for about $60 with caps but no case,
including dust.  Cleaned it up and it now looks Mint- both optically and
mechanically.  Appears to be MC - maybe they all were....

He also had a load of OM10s, and later versions, an 85mm SC %0mm f1.4 SC a
Mint- OM2N chrome for $160 and an Exc+ black OM2N for $150.  Had to walk
away from the cameras as the black OM2N did look attractive  saying to
myself "I do not collect cameras and therefore do not need them".  Also on
the stall was a roll film back and cassettes together with MAC controller,
bits of a motordrive 2 and a couple of winder 2s.  By 11am about half of
the kit had gone and the chap was busy reducing his prices....

Decided to buy a secondhand Vivitar flash as a Christmas present - asked
the stall holder if she had batteries so that I could test it (there were
about 50 lying on the stall).  She moved her gold glasses to the end of her
nose with precisely manicured hand and stared at me over them - hey I
wasn't proposing that she took her kit off and that we had a passionate
embrace behind the stall....(frightening thought).  Reminded me of one of
the more disciplined teachers at infant school - I decided to stare her
out.  This worked and she reluctantly put the batteries in - it was already
turned on and she started to fiddle with the controls with long painted
finger nails.

Muttering under her breath at my request to have a look at the flash with
the batteries in it, she then started stabbing at the controls and anything
that looked as though it might be a control, the flash now pointing
straight at me - FLASH-ZAP.  Momentarily blinded by the gun going off at a
2 foot distance I tried to smile and ask if it would be possible to now
have a look at the gun.  Clutching the flash to her chest she said "you've
seen it work".

Half running I managed to escape and noticed that there was always space
around her stall and men walking past with averted eyes.  Maybe she was
selling the gear for her husband and he'll find out when he goes to look
for it ;-)  Scary.....

One other bargain was a Compur 1 shutter (for large format lens) for $40.
Missing the aperture markings it works well and will hopefully replace
another which has a bent shutter.  Still looking for a scrapper for parts
though...

Left the show at about 11am to take photos rather than waste anymore of a
great brooding sky day.

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com