Re: [OM] New OM Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM Cameras
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:29:10 -0800
On 17 Oct 98, at 1:00, Giles wrote:

> I believe there would be a negative impact for Olympus in terms of
> public perceptions and prestige if they do allow their 35mm SLR
> business to cease completely.

In many areas, this has already happened. While in Vancouver, I stopped in
at Fotofun, a decent sized retail store which had both Oly P&S and digital
models on display. When I asked to see their OM gear, new or used, I was
told that Olympus no longer makes SLRs, only ZLRs! I corrected the
salesperson by explaining about the 3/4-Ti and OM-2000, but just got a
blank look followed by a rather snooty attitude. I did manage to find a Kiron
1.5X TC $20, and a Soligor Zooming Macro 2X TC (which appears very
similar to the Vivitar one often spoken highly of) for $40 in their junk bin. I
passed on these, as I was a bit annoyed at the snooty salesclerk...

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)