Re: [OM] New OM Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM Cameras
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:03:26 -0500
>One thing bothers me about the F5 color matrix metering system, which says
>"trust me because 'the Force is with me' along with the brains of Ansel
Adams
>and perfect exposures taken of thousands of photos in difficult exposure
>situations" and that is, if I understand Ansel Adams correctly, that I am
no
>longer visualizing the entire process from exposure to printing because I
>don't know exactly what the camera is doing. It's a high tech Ouija board
and
>threatens to take art and creativity away.

Excellent analysis.  However, I believe that  we don't use our OM's much
differently:  With auto exposure I'm setting the aperature for either a DOF
or to attain a certain shutter speed range.  Am I not "programming" the
camera for my needs?  Once programmed I can go into snooze mode until the
needs change.  How about bright sunlit subjects?  I dial in sunny-16 and
again go into snooze mode.

Modern technology is good.  Take flash metering for example:  OM's OTF
metering is best thing since sliced bread and without it I'd die unless I
didn't have a digital flash meter.  Boy am I glad I don't have to "think"
when it comes to macro flash.

Ken N.